German Translation

For translation of Allacrost game text, dialogue, story, documentation, etc.

Moderator: Staff

gonzoMD

German Translation

Post by gonzoMD » Fri May 07, 2010 4:29 pm

I would like to do a german translation for the game.
I know that I have to change the strings at the *.po file
Which file do I have to use as base?
I downloaded the fr.po (french language file) from SVN but I don't know if it's the right file
I allready started to change the french strings to german ones, but before I go on I better ask coz I don't want to waste time for senseless things.

Best Regards gonzoMD
rujasu
Developer

Re: German Translation

Post by rujasu » Sun May 09, 2010 10:30 am

gonzoMD wrote:I would like to do a german translation for the game.
I know that I have to change the strings at the *.po file
Which file do I have to use as base?
I downloaded the fr.po (french language file) from SVN but I don't know if it's the right file
I allready started to change the french strings to german ones, but before I go on I better ask coz I don't want to waste time for senseless things.

Best Regards gonzoMD
Hi GonzoMD, thanks for your post. A German translation would be great. I'm not 100% sure about how to create a PO file -- I don't see why making a copy of another PO file wouldn't work, but someone who has more experience with translations might be able to give you a better idea.
marcavis

Post by marcavis » Mon May 10, 2010 12:25 am

Guten tag, sehr gut!

I don't know if you've read the Translation Instructions page, so do check it out: http://allacrost.sourceforge.net/wiki/i ... ranslators
It doesn't yet explain everything that needs to be explained, so if you have any questions or suggestions, we'd be glad to add/answer them.

Well, while it's possible to use a different po file as a start for your translation, it's not the right way to do it. Some of the metadata will be wrong (like the plurals form formula) and it's better to start with a clean slate anyway. Here's a po file for the german translation that I generated with msginit, start with this file:
http://mateusavila.com/marquinhos/projects/de.po
(Ignore the fact that it displays my contact info instead of yours ;))

I'm assuming you're editing the file with a normal text editor, is that right? While that "does the job", you really should use a catalog editor like Poedit as it lets you know intuitively what you've already translated and what you haven't, with some other useful features like being able to see where in the source code a message is located. I'm going to propose to the team to make it mandatory that translators use a specialized program to edit the po files - it's really worth it.

I'm going to sleep now so forgive me if I've missed something...
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD » Mon May 10, 2010 1:28 am

thanks for your quick answers.

I use Poedit, no texteditor.
I leave your contact Info, but add my also. :devil:
So, then I can Start with translation. :)

EDIT:
there's no contact info in the file.
I've the translation 80% finished, I think I get it today, when I come back from work.
marcavis

Post by marcavis » Sat May 15, 2010 7:29 pm

If you ever get stuck anywhere, feel free to ask here, or join us on IRC (room #allacrost at irc.freenode.net); I surely missed some context on several messages.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD » Sun May 16, 2010 5:19 pm

how can I test my file, I tried to copy it to <allacrostfolder>/txt and add it's name to <allacrostfolder>/dat/config/languages.lua

90% not much time @ the moment.
marcavis

Post by marcavis » Sun May 16, 2010 9:44 pm

Oh, no problem at all, we all get busy.
Well, about how to test it - what OS are you using?
If it's Linux, I've added/updated what you need at the repository, so after a svn update (backup your de.po file, though) you'll just have to run build_mo_linux.sh from the txt directory.
nemesis

Post by nemesis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:05 am

Hello everybody.

As I saw, the german translation is far from being completed right now (de.po file -> not yet started??). If this would help you, I can work on this file. Maybe for now, I will change the file and send it to anyone of you so you can commit it to the SVN.

Maybe I can also assist you in programming later, now that the project is "restarted". However, I need to finish some work related stuff first. However, is the bugtracker up-to-date?

Best regards,
Nemesis
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue May 03, 2011 1:28 am

I was MIA when the German translation was being worked on so I don't know what happened, but from the looks of it we never got anything in there. It would be awesome if you could translate the demo into German for us. Make sure you work in trunk/demo and not trunk/game though. The material in trunk/game is not ready to be translated yet (and won't be for a while). If you've got a .po file to commit, go ahead and attach it here and we can add it to SVN and release the German translation for the demo.

If you can lend your skills as a programmer as well that would be awesome. Do you have any particular skills/experience? Any particular area of the code you'd be more interested in working on than others? I'm pretty sure that every unresolved issue in the tracker remains unresolved, but the bug assignments are all outdated. For example I have two bugs/features assigned to me that I have no intention on getting to anytime soon (because they aren't a high priority). Anyway, send me a PM or try to catch me on IRC if you still want to work on code when your time becomes available and I'm sure we can put you to good use.
nemesis

Post by nemesis » Tue May 03, 2011 8:22 am

Sounds good to me. End of this week I will be on a business trip, therefore don't expect anything from me in the next days, but I hope to send the file in the beginning of next week.

Regarding programming we can discuss later. I can show you some of my older projects then.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue May 03, 2011 9:08 am

Awesome, looking forward to it.
nemesis

Post by nemesis » Sun May 08, 2011 1:53 pm

Spending some time of two trips by train (in sum 13 hours) may sometimes lead to something (except for 400 lines Matlab code). :hack:

Attached is my first shot of the german translation file (I changed the .po to .txt since .po was not allowed by the forum). I hope other native german speakers can have a look and help improving the file.
Attachments
de.txt
(39.77 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Sun May 08, 2011 2:21 pm

Awesome! :approve: I'll see if I can find a native German from another project to QA your work. I glanced over it though and it looks fine to me (although I don't speak German myself :heh: ). I'll go refresh my memory as to how we add new languages to the game, and then I'll post back here later to show you how it can be done so that you can see your translated text in the game.

I went to the forum admin panel to see if I could enable .po file extensions on attached files, but I couldn't find anything after looking around a couple minutes. If I have more time later I'll see if I can find a way to enable that.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Sun May 08, 2011 2:25 pm

Looks like our wiki already has instructions for how to see your translations in game:

http://allacrost.sourceforge.net/wiki/i ... ns_In-Game

Fortunately you don't need to re-compile the application and the entire process looks pretty simple. Have you seen your translations in the game yet?
nemesis

Post by nemesis » Mon May 09, 2011 1:07 am

Yes, fortunately I found this build_mo_linux.sh file.

The dialogs in the game itself look very good. ;)

In the menu, I tried to fix the word length in order to the have a meaningful separation between all words. However, not all text can be found in the .po, e.g. names of items are completely missing.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Mon May 09, 2011 1:27 am

Hmm, its possible that we forgot to tag some parts of the game data and code for gettext to translate. Try switching to another foreign language and see if the same situation applies for those languages as well. If so, then its because we missed tagging some things in our last release. It should be relatively easy to go back and add those. We'll need to update all our other translations as well for this additional material.
marcavis

Post by marcavis » Mon May 09, 2011 10:06 pm

Yeah some things, like item names, were not yet set as translatable.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue May 10, 2011 1:55 am

What I think we're going to do is mark up those missing text translations, add the German, patch the rest of our translations with the new material, and then do a new release of the demo.
nemesis

Post by nemesis » Tue May 10, 2011 1:57 am

Yeah, good idea.