Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

Freeze due to /dev/dsp

For those having trouble installing/running the game or to report a bug

Moderator: Staff

luther

Freeze due to /dev/dsp

Post by luther » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:00 pm

When I try to run allacrost, I get this error message:
AL lib: oss.c:179: Could not open /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

It then freezes. Ctrl+C doesn't work, but Ctrl+Z does put me back at the bash prompt. I get the same thing even after I reboot.

Running version 1.0.1 on Trisquel 3.5.

I saw the earlier thread about openal documentation, and I put the example code into a .openalrc file, but it had no effect.

:help:
rujasu
Developer

Re: Freeze due to /dev/dsp

Post by rujasu » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:25 pm

Welcome, and thanks for trying out Allacrost. I'm not all that familiar with Trisquel, though it seems to be based on Ubuntu Karmic. Does it use PulseAudio? I know that's something we had problems with on Karmic; PulseAudio has problems working with OpenAL, and the only things that ever seemed to work reliably were running with the --disable-audio option or removing pulse entirely (the pasuspend program generally did not work). These issues were fixed in Lucid and may be fixed in Trisquel's upcoming 4.0 release, but for 3.5 the only workarounds I'm aware of are disabling the game's sound at the command line or removing Pulse. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do about it as the issue is with OpenAL, not Allacrost.
luther

Post by luther » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:59 am

Hey, thanks. '--disable-audio' got the game running. According to Synaptic, I do have pulseaudio 0.9.19.

Unfortunately, when I got to my first fight, I got the character-not-attacking bug. Claudius was the only one in my party. I only did one fight, so I don't know if it'll happen all the time. when I exited allacrost, I saw this error message 6 times:

Code: Select all

ERROR:src/engine/script/script.cpp:HandleLuaError:81: a runtime Lua error has occured with the following error message:

dat/skills/attack.lua:28: attempt to call method 'ChangeSpriteAnimation' (a nil value)
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:18 am

I'm guessing you have the wrong version of LuaBind -- unfortunately, there's some issue with attacking if you don't have the newest LuaBind. Once I get the Windows issue fixed (and honestly, I can't give an exact ETA on that right now as I'll be busy for the next week or so, but hopefully it will be done soon) I'll post a new release on SourceForge which will have LuaBind 0.9 in the source tree and compiled statically. I apologize for the problems.
luther

Post by luther » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:05 pm

No problem. I've waited this long for a new release; I can wait a little bit more. I have luabind 0.8.1, so, yeah, it's old. The good news is that a Trisquel 4 RC was released on Friday, so maybe I can upgrade soon.

EDIT: Just letting you know that it works mostly fine on Trisquel 4, including sound. The only problem is that I don't know if I've reached the end. After the part where someone says, "He might still be alive", I can't find anything to do. I'm guessing you didn't have time to put in an ending message. :shrug:
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:47 pm

luther wrote:No problem. I've waited this long for a new release; I can wait a little bit more. I have luabind 0.8.1, so, yeah, it's old. The good news is that a Trisquel 4 RC was released on Friday, so maybe I can upgrade soon.

EDIT: Just letting you know that it works mostly fine on Trisquel 4, including sound. The only problem is that I don't know if I've reached the end. After the part where someone says, "He might still be alive", I can't find anything to do. I'm guessing you didn't have time to put in an ending message. :shrug:
Yeah, that's all there is right now. Thanks for letting us know it works on v4 though.