Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

building in vs2008

For those having trouble installing/running the game or to report a bug

Moderator: Staff

ElonNarai
Developer

Re: building in vs2008

Post by ElonNarai » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:43 am

VerMan wrote:Same here!
you are right ElonNarai, however I followed the instructions on setting up the VS 2005 solution (but using VS 2008) and I've got an unresolved external problem (something about Luabind_d.dll). Dammit, I think I won't bother and will install a Virtual Machine + SuSE and see how it goes.
During compile-time, link-time or run-time?

If you get it during link-time then you haven't setup all your libaries correctly.
If you get it during run-time then you haven't placed all your dll's correctly.

Since I finally finished my bouncing cube for Physics at school I will try to get allacrost working VS 2008 and see if I need to update to anything.
Documenter and coder
VerMan

Post by VerMan » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:37 pm

During linking, so I probably didn't set it up correctly. I'm gonna give it another try anyway.
ElonNarai
Developer

Post by ElonNarai » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:22 am

If it still doesn't work then double check if you have the paths are setup correct and that all libaries can be found (The second time I did this I made this mistake) and also check if the correct dependecies (the correct version) are used.

If you still have problems please post the entire output of the build session (please only that of allacrost self) most likely it is a simple problem then.
Documenter and coder
VerMan

Post by VerMan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:11 pm

I don't know man... this is "loco". When building release I get this error:

fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'jpeg.lib' Allacrost Allacrost

when I build in debug mode:

error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "bool hoa_map::MAP_DEBUG" (?MAP_DEBUG@hoa_map@@3_NA) map_sprites.obj Allacrost

in several places and then the luabind problem:

error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall std::_Container_base::~_Container_base(void)" (__imp_??1_Container_base@std@@QAE@XZ) luabind_d.lib Allacrost

obviously all my paths are double/triple checked and I'm not missing any dll (that I know... 18 of them)
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:13 pm

Wiinis

Post by Wiinis » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:35 pm

The dependency folder does not have everything you need to build in vs. Not even vs2005. You can get the jpeg.lib and others off of the allacrost site. I don't remember what the address is exactly but it is there. Roots might know something about it?

I've talked to mindflayer and rujasu about it, and we think the dependency folder needs to be updated.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:56 pm

ElonNarai
Developer

Post by ElonNarai » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:34 am

@Wiinis: I haven't updated my dependecies and it works fine for me.
@Verman: You don't have to worry about dll's until you can actually start the game. Both the lua bind and the jpeg problem are related to libaries.The "bool hoa_map::MAP_DEBUG" is a programming error.
I think you still haven't setup the system as it schould, but I will follow the step-by-step guide myself and see if it the same problem happens to me.

NOTE: I just remember I might have changed one of the header files. I will double check that.
Documenter and coder
ElonNarai
Developer

Post by ElonNarai » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:43 am

Ok, I finished double checking.

Both Boost as lua_bind don't work on vs 2008. Lua_bind clearly says so in the document.

Boost

Code: Select all

Note: including file:  C:\Dep\luabind\include\luabind/luabind.hpp
Note: including file:   C:\Dep\luabind\include\luabind/config.hpp
Note: including file:    C:\Dep\boost\boost/config.hpp
Note: including file:     C:\Dep\boost\boost/config/user.hpp
Note: including file:     C:\Dep\boost\boost/config/select_compiler_config.hpp
Note: including file:     C:\Dep\boost\boost/config/compiler/visualc.hpp
Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report the results
For some reason boost can't work with VS2008, I have looked around and it seems you will need to reconfigure boost and then it should work.

Bottom line: You can't build allacrost in vs2008.
Documenter and coder
Winter Knight
Contributor

Post by Winter Knight » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:50 am

If you want to compile on Windows, you might want to use MSYS/MinGW/gcc instead. I cross compile from Linux when I build Windows executables, and I am pretty sure that a similar method will work for compiling using MSYS.

The instructions for compiling for Windows from Linux are here: http://allacrost.sourceforge.net/wiki/i ... structions Note however, that those instructions are out of date, and more importantly, the mingw development libraries on the Allacrost server will not work with the latest version of Allacrost. The Makefile is outdated, and the version I will upload later today will include dependencies for the map editor.

I double-checked and then created an allacrost-win32-depends-mingw archive yesterday when I read this thread. I'll put it up later today, and update the compiling instructions, and then I'll post here when that's done.

It would be nice if Allacrost could be built using Visual Studio 2008. Maybe we shouldn't give up on that, and maybe we could come with a solution for that soon. I just wanted to make it clear that there are other options for compiling Allacrost for Windows.
ElonNarai
Developer

Post by ElonNarai » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:53 am

Maybe we should look for a way to make the development of allacrost the same on all platforms. Like using code-blocks or something.

The compile problem (HOA_MAP::Debug-something-something) is because the vcproj is missing files. If we all would use the same tool it would be so much simpler.
Documenter and coder
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:38 am

ElonNarai wrote:Maybe we should look for a way to make the development of allacrost the same on all platforms. Like using code-blocks or something.

The compile problem (HOA_MAP::Debug-something-something) is because the vcproj is missing files. If we all would use the same tool it would be so much simpler.

The compilation problem is because you Windows guys aren't updating your project files as the code changes. You need to be monitoring the Subversion Commit Thread and be ready for posts like this one where source files are added or removed from SVN. If you read the Miscellaneous Notes section I even said "project files need to be updated". You guys need to get in the habit of always reading that thread when new posts are made to it to see if there's any action required on your end.

I'm open to the idea of discussing a common build solution that would work across all platforms (lets do this in another thread though, so someone start it if you feel passionate enough about it). I'm hesitant to change the way we've always done things though. I've never had big problems using automake on Linux and neither has any other Linux user AFAIK. And I think the Windows build problems are more a fault of the libraries that we use aren't always compatible with the latest offering of Visual Studio. Its generally not the Allacrost code itself that is the problem.
VerMan

Post by VerMan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:58 am

Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report the results
Yeah, I didn't pay attention to that...
well I was also thinking compiling using Cygwin but I've seen there are some problems as well...

I'm still thnking on that Virtual Machine + SuSE solution.
Winter Knight
Contributor

Post by Winter Knight » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:59 am

I uploaded the mingw dependencies, and updated the Installation Instructions.

As for standardizing on one build platform, I don't think that makes much sense. It would basically be saying "we don't support Visual Studio or anything else other than xxx". On our installation instructions page, we give instructions on how to compile using various combinations of platform/compiler/target. There is little reason we can't support all of the combinations listed there, and continually add to it. Although, we could consider officially recommending against Visual Studio, and recommending an open source compiler/environment instead.

If we were to standardize on one platform, I would say gcc/make/autotools, rather than codeblocks. Most of us have been using that anyway, and it is available for all platforms.

Verman, what sort of problems are you referring to regarding cygwin? And do you mean MSYS?

EDIT: I'm coming around to ElonNorai's idea of dropping support for some platforms. Perhaps we should only officially support 2?
VerMan

Post by VerMan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:15 pm

I'll try again with the new dependencies... btw I saw there are 2 different dependencies files. So I used the bigger one.

And I meant this: http://www.allacrost.org/forum/viewtopi ... lit=cygwin
regarding cygwin.

But later today I'm going to re-try VS2008 and let you guys know.
VerMan

Post by VerMan » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:54 am

I tried but... damn it' hard :bang:

I also tried different approaches, like for instance, what about using Netbeans + MinGW or (cygwin tools) to build the project? I mean, netbeans works in any platform and we could just write a setup tutorial for every OS!

I tried to compile using MinGW but I ran into some problemes with MinGw32-make, then I tried installing cygwin and use the tools in there but I ran into more problems regarding the make file... it's ok, i have to take a look @ the docs because I was tired and didn't follow any instructions at all (just download plug & play).

Ok, i'm back to my happy & estimulating & funny Data mining full-time job :hack: (btw I was being sarcastic)
ElonNarai
Developer

Post by ElonNarai » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:58 am

If we were to standardize on one platform, I would say gcc/make/autotools, rather than codeblocks. Most of us have been using that anyway, and it is available for all platforms.
Platform is on what you release (Vista, OSx, Linux), you most likely mean "development tools" (VS2005, VS2008, gcc). However developing on windows and linux is done different even if the tools are the same (and the tools are often outdated on other platforms). I hope that codeblocks will eliminate most of it (it uses gcc, make, etc.) and reduces management overhead.
The compilation problem is because you Windows guys aren't updating your project files as the code changes.
"You shall not commit broken code!", but serious it's an XML file (for those who don't use VS2008) or you could just re-adding all the files and your done (for those who do use vs2008).
VerMan wrote:But later today I'm going to re-try VS2008 and let you guys know.
As I said before VS2008 is impossible unless you modify the dependecy.

My personal view is that we drop all development tools except those used on the linux platform and only support the linux platform and later we can add multiplatform support. On the other side, if I look at the downloads I see that released version of allacrost 0.2.2 had 1364 ".exe" downloads and only 771 (700+71) downloads of the other types.
Documenter and coder
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:22 pm

I'm with Roots on this. I don't know anything about codeblocks, but developing on different OSes will never be the same. We should continue doing what we're doing, which pretty much means supporting one development tool per OS. On Linux it's the GNU Automake tools, on OS X it's XCode, and on Windows it's VS2005. If people want to come along and use something else to develop on their particular OS, fine, they can do so, and we may help them out if they have any questions, but we will only officially support those that are already in repository. If they setup a working environment with their new tool, we'd be more than happy to host the setup for it on our FTP. Now, the Automake and XCode projects are working great, because we have active developers using them, so most of the time they work. If we had active developers on Windows, VS2005 would not be a problem. So, either someone steps up and starts maintaining it actively, or we drop it from official support (and move it to the FTP), or everyone stops complaining. Don't invoke the "you shall not commit broken code" mantra on the non-Windows devs. The code isn't broken. The Windows devs aren't maintaining their own project file.

The fact that there are more downloads of the Windows release than the other platforms is irrelevant to the discussion of development tools on different OSes.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:21 pm

FYI, I just read a thread on the internal forums for my company and everyone really hates VS2008. The primary gripe seems to be that the performance is absolutely horrible, and even things like navigating to/editing files takes forever (> 1 minute for certain tasks). There is a lot of upset people ranting about this and looking at alternative editors so that their productivity isn't destroyed.

I say we ditch VS2008 altogether and just continue supporting VS2005. VS2005 has worked in the past and it should work for us now (with tweaking). VS2008 just looks like a headache in every way.
Winter Knight
Contributor

Post by Winter Knight » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:53 pm

gorzuate wrote:We should continue doing what we're doing, which pretty much means supporting one development tool per OS. On Linux it's the GNU Automake tools, on OS X it's XCode, and on Windows it's VS2005.
I have always considered our official list of supported compilers to be here: http://allacrost.sourceforge.net/wiki/i ... structions I don't know what XCode is, but if we support it, I think someone should write instructions for it. Maybe it is obvious to someone who knows what XCode is that we support it because of the HoA.xcodeproj directory, but for those who wouldn't notice it, Mac users (or others, is it cross-platform) might appreciate knowing what it is and how to use it. Even if building is simple and obvious and uniform, we should still put instructions up there; we have instructions for building in Linux with configure/make.