Luabind or Lua problem when building Allacrost

For those having trouble installing/running the game or to report a bug

Moderator: Staff

hank2000

Re: Luabind or Lua problem when building Allacrost

Postby hank2000 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:41 pm

hi

added:

it IS in the allacrost source-directory but where should it be as well??
aaahhh, as You were!
when starting within the allacrost directory, it WORKS! seems to be a path-problem....
well, at least I have a playable version of Allacrost!
the rest i ll have to play around with.... :cool:
but still damn :shrug: confused, why it compiled now must be s.th. of Your source files from 11th june then....

cheers
hank
hank2000

Postby hank2000 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Hi again!

ok, have to row back again!
it compiled and installed and is startable with menue and intro but when the movement starts the graphics can get weired as in VT, only fullscreen possible with mine otherwise music hangs...
and in fullscreen AND windowed mode system freezes, or display completely black after the knights entering the cave!
that s repeatable every try. :sad: well, I ll keep interested and have an eye on developments here but for the mom I ll return to "The Mana World" and "KQ".

cheers
hank
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:37 pm

That is...extremely weird. I don't know what could possibly be the problem if it's not your graphics drivers. I'm not sure if you're trying the latest release files (uploaded here at the end of June), but I don't think you'll have any more luck with the official build than what you have.

One thing you can try is hitting "Ctrl+T" from the boot menu screen. This will bring you to a test menu where you can enter various different maps and game modes. For example, you could jump right into the start of the cave map without going through the intro scene, and see if the cave map is still broken if you take that path. If you run allacrost with the "-t" or "--test" option, you'll instantly go to the test menu and can skip the boot screen as well.
hank2000

Postby hank2000 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:39 pm

Hi mate,

well that looks more complicated than I thought... :bang:
I tried the test mode and got into the cave but when encountering the first creature (?) - there s a sort of green ball approaching the knight - the music starts repeating itself again and game freezes...
I don t know what s wrong but I guess there some sort of involvment of my graphics system tog. with a bad sound support of my HP notebook.
I told You already I hate nVidia, so i ll play around a little bit further and try a new compilation when a new AMD graphics-based computer is on hand.
Never had so much probs with THIS graphics system (ATI/AMD) ! but on a Duron system it s def. too slow! ;-)

thanks for Your help so far!

hank
shirish

Postby shirish » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:48 pm

wish I had found this before filing the bug.

@Roots - you really need to fix that configure script so it shouts for these libraries as well or give a shout-out on OGA/freegamedev for somebody to hep make a better configure.ac file.

https://bitbucket.org/allacrost/allacro ... at=default

From what little I learnt and understood, it is the configure.ac file which autoreconf -i (or rather autoconf 2.50) processes and we get a configure script which has all the errors that it prints and says, this library is missing or that library is missing. Need to have all that included in the configure.ac script.
Intel i5-7400, Asus Z270-P, 8 GB DDR4 2400 RAM, D-Link 502-T router, 64-bit Debian Buster, MATE 1.18 ,
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:56 pm

Yeah, I know our config/build scripts need improvement. The guy who originally wrote and maintained them is no longer around, and no one else has picked up the slack since. I'm stretched thin as it is and am currently the only active Linux developer, so it's hard to get around to that when there are so many other things that need to be done. Sorry for your troubles. :sad:
hank2000

Postby hank2000 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:32 am

Guess, You re doin what´ s humanly possible, mate.... :approve:

so thanks anyway for keeping this great game alive on Linux and with some patience it will be further improved! :axe:

I keep an eye on this definitely! :cool:

cheers
Hank
shirish

Postby shirish » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:15 pm

I am using lua 5.2.4 and still there seems to be many a deprecated things still lying around. I am trying to find out how to get a build log to show all the deprecated warnings here for your perusal.

Update - did the following -

Code: Select all

┌─[shirish@debian] - [~/games/allacrost/game] - [10060]
└─[$] make 2>&1 | tee allacrost-build.txt

and then https://paste.debian.net/830757/

And this is when lua is at -

┌─[shirish@debian] - [~/games/allacrost/game] - [10061]
└─[$] lua -v                                                                                                                         
Lua 5.2.4  Copyright (C) 1994-2015 Lua.org, PUC-Rio

Hope the above can be fixed.
Intel i5-7400, Asus Z270-P, 8 GB DDR4 2400 RAM, D-Link 502-T router, 64-bit Debian Buster, MATE 1.18 ,
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:33 am

We're still using Lua 5.1. We verified a couple weeks ago that 5.2 doesn't work with the Luabind source that we have (and our Lua files are using constructs that were removed on 5.2). We're sticking with Lua 5.1 for now but will take a look at 5.2 again when there aren't more pressing things to address.
shirish

Postby shirish » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:01 am

ok.... but I got warnings even in lua 5.1.5 . But that probably is because libluabind-dev is now dependant on liblua5.2-dev. So I guess I have to wait for the game to catch up to lua5.2 .

luacheck itself gives access to all the errors -

┌─[shirish@debian] - [~] - [10070]
└─[$] luacheck -v                                                                                                                 
Luacheck: 0.15.1
Lua: Lua 5.1
LuaFileSystem: LuaFileSystem 1.6.3
LuaLanes: Not found

luacheck -q . results in 44082 warnings and 1 error in 82 files, so guess have to just wait.

Return to “Technical Issues”