Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

SVN make on Debian

For those having trouble installing/running the game or to report a bug

Moderator: Staff

rujasu
Developer

SVN make on Debian

Post by rujasu » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:05 pm

I'm able to checkout the source code from SVN, but when I try to run ./configure, I get the following message:

configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh ./config.sub

And I'm pretty much stuck at that point. The demo compiles with no problems on the same system; I'm running Debian testing on two different machines with the same results. Can anyone help me get this compiled?
Roots
Dictator

Re: SVN make on Debian

Post by Roots » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:57 pm

rujasu wrote:I'm able to checkout the source code from SVN, but when I try to run ./configure, I get the following message:

configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh ./config.sub

And I'm pretty much stuck at that point. The demo compiles with no problems on the same system; I'm running Debian testing on two different machines with the same results. Can anyone help me get this compiled?

I remember having this problem as well when I did a clean check-out a while back. I think you have to run "autoremake" or something first? gorzuate would know, since he's our Linux build guy. Or we might be missing some config files in SVN... :uhoh:
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:15 pm

Code: Select all

$ autoreconf && configure && make
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:08 pm

I tried using autoreconf, and this was the output:

Code: Select all

/usr/share/aclocal/smpeg.m4:13: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_SMPEG
  run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
  or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
configure.ac:8: required file `./config.guess' not found
configure.ac:8: required file `./config.sub' not found
autoreconf2.50: automake failed with exit status: 1
Not sure what to do with this.
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 am

Try
autoreconf -i
MindFlayer
Developer

Post by MindFlayer » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:15 am

gorzuate wrote:Try
autoreconf -i
Thanks! My problem (@ ubuntu laptop) was fixed with the above. :D
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:18 am

Is this supposed to be common knowledge for Linux SVN builds? It seems rather esoteric. :| Are proper build instructions on the wiki at least?
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:57 am

Roots wrote:Is this supposed to be common knowledge for Linux SVN builds? It seems rather esoteric. :| Are proper build instructions on the wiki at least?
Um well I always forget this step because I haven't had to do a clean checkout for quite a while. I'll add it to wiki as soon as I can.
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:56 pm

It went something like this for me...

(NOTE: All of this is on SVN revision 569, of course.)

Ran "autoreconf -i" and this was successful. However, when I ran ./configure, I realized LuaBind isn't on my computer. I looked up LuaBind and tried to build it, but building it on Debian is impossible if you don't know what you're doing; I still don't know where LUA_PATH is supposed to point to on a Debian system. So, I found the Installing LuaBind thread and discovered the Debian package. Of course, I was trying to compile on an AMD64 system, but I moved over to my i386 laptop and got the dpkg. LuaBind is on here now and works just fine.

This brought me to another issue; the laptop is using integrated video, and is set up to run only at 16-bit color. Therefore, the make worked but it couldn't execute. So, I dug up this fix, and was able to build a working executable. The game doesn't look noticeably bad under these settings, though I did have an odd situation where a white box was appearing and disappearing in mid-screen when I ran a battle.

Is it possible to get that LuaBind package submitted to the Debian repositories? I know Debian is currently looking for a LuaBind package.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:04 pm

ettin has a Luabind Debian package on his server that you can use. See somewhere in this thread: http://www.allacrost.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1433 (I also put instructions for installing Luabind from source on Debian here).

I thought the fixes you linked to had already been implemented into the video engine. :huh: I never heard of that white box bug though. You may want to file a bug report: http://bugs.allacrost.org/
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:49 pm

Roots wrote:ettin has a Luabind Debian package on his server that you can use. See somewhere in this thread: http://www.allacrost.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1433 (I also put instructions for installing Luabind from source on Debian here).
I mentioned that exact package in my post. ;) It works great on my laptop. The only issues I have are:

1. I can't use the binary package on my AMD64 computer, and I don't know how to use the deb-src package.

2. Debian's official repositories are looking for a LuaBind package, and I'm wondering if someone could submit ettin's package for this purpose.

But otherwise, this isn't an issue.
I thought the fixes you linked to had already been implemented into the video engine. :huh: I never heard of that white box bug though. You may want to file a bug report: http://bugs.allacrost.org/
It's not so much "fixing" anything as it is forcing the game to use 16-bit depth instead of 32-bit. The game is supposed to use 32-bit, AFAIK, but my laptop can't run DRI unless I use 16bpp. Perhaps we could add to the options menu a setting for color depth rather than assuming that 32bpp will work for everyone.

As for the white box, I'm going to hold off on reporting that until I see it again.
ChopperDave
Developer

Post by ChopperDave » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:13 pm

I never heard of that white box bug though
Actually, I brought that up in my last SVN commit. I think byaku or Linds mentioned there was a glitch in the video engine. Might want to ask one of them about it.

I didn't file a bug report because it only happened a few times, and then stopped, so I figured maybe my comp was behaving oddly.
ettin

Post by ettin » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:13 am

rujasu wrote:
Roots wrote:ettin has a Luabind Debian package on his server that you can use. See somewhere in this thread: http://www.allacrost.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1433 (I also put instructions for installing Luabind from source on Debian here).
I mentioned that exact package in my post. ;) It works great on my laptop. The only issues I have are:

1. I can't use the binary package on my AMD64 computer, and I don't know how to use the deb-src package.

2. Debian's official repositories are looking for a LuaBind package, and I'm wondering if someone could submit ettin's package for this purpose.

But otherwise, this isn't an issue.
I'm the guy who requested the Luabind package for Debian ;)

Even though there was a revival not so long ago (inspired by Roots requests, I think), the project is still rather inactive. And developers don't seem to care about packaging and distribution issues at all. I'm not interested in officially including such a package in Debian until these problems are solved.