Could not find the GL library

For those having trouble installing/running the game or to report a bug

Moderator: Staff

hank2000

Could not find the GL library

Postby hank2000 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:13 pm

Hi Folks,

I am running an older version of Mandrake linux with openGL installed but when trying "configure" it says: checking for glEnable in -lGL... no
Could not find the GL library. Check that it is properly installed on your system!
well I had that issue twice before and was able to solve it when putting the whole path into the configure script instead of only "-lGL".
but where can I try this in the scripts of Allacrost and are there any versions necessary
to build it, e.x. autoconf, automake or GL itself???
It s Mandrake Linux 9.1 with autoconf 2.13, automake 1.4 with Mesa GL 5.0-3 !

bye
Achim
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:53 pm

We have a patch in the works for the GL issue. For now, you can put the following into the configure.ac file:

Code: Select all

AC_PATH_XTRA
X_LIBS="$X_LIBS -L/usr/X11R6/lib"
X_CFLAGS="$X_CFLAGS -L/usr/X11R6/lib"
LIBS="$LIBS $X_LIBS"
CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS $X_CFLAGS"

AC_CHECK_LIB([X11], [XCreateWindow], [], [AC_MSG_ERROR([X11 GLX not found])])
AC_CHECK_LIB([GL], [glGetString], [], [AC_MSG_ERROR([OpenGL not found])])
AC_CHECK_LIB([GLU], [gluGetString], [], [AC_MSG_ERROR([GLU not found])])

I don't think there are any specific versions necessary, but if you try to run any of the autotools and it doesn't work because of the version you have, try downloading the latest version and using that instead.
hank2000

Postby hank2000 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:50 pm

[quote="gorzuate"]We have a patch in the works for the GL issue. For now, you can put the following into the configure.ac file:

Code: Select all

AC_PATH_XTRA
X_LIBS="$X_LIBS -L/usr/X11R6/lib"
X_CFLAGS="$X_CFLAGS -L/usr/X11R6/lib"
LIBS="$LIBS $X_LIBS"
CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS $X_CFLAGS"

AC_CHECK_LIB([X11], [XCreateWindow], [], [AC_MSG_ERROR([X11 GLX not found])])
AC_CHECK_LIB([GL], [glGetString], [], [AC_MSG_ERROR([OpenGL not found])])
AC_CHECK_LIB([GLU], [gluGetString], [], [AC_MSG_ERROR([GLU not found])])

well, thanx for the quick response!
unfortunately, I am not very familiar with programming, so I thought to put the code where the similar parts are in configure.ac and comment the old ones out - but still not working;
maybe I placed it in the wrong part; I ll better wait for the patch then... ;-)

Achim
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:00 am

Well, you prompted me to work on that patch, so now it's in :D Hope it works for you.

Edit: actually the current version in the repository has undergone some major changes and, as a result, is quite buggy. It might be better if you just look at the place in configure.ac where I added the code I posted above, and apply the same changes to the configure.ac file in the demo tarball.
hank2000

Re.: Could not find the GL library

Postby hank2000 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:45 am

gorzuate wrote:Well, you prompted me to work on that patch, so now it's in :D Hope it works for you.

Edit: actually the current version in the repository has undergone some major changes and, as a result, is quite buggy. It might be better if you just look at the place in configure.ac where I added the code I posted above, and apply the same changes to the configure.ac file in the demo tarball.

Hi there,

well, I did it the same way You did right at the beginning (well, thought I d forgotten how to... ;-) ) but the damn GL library can t still be found! :(
very strange, sometimes it works fine just to add the complete pathes, sometimes You have to change scripts and sometimes it doesn t work at all....
that s - -besides often not knowing WHERE to look after - what makes Linux so frustrating to an "end user" with quite some experience like me!
I know some scripting and know some configuring but it s damn difficult very often....

Achim
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:10 pm

What's the path to your GL library?
hank2000

Postby hank2000 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:29 pm

gorzuate wrote:What's the path to your GL library?

the normal libs go to /usr/X11R6/lib/ and the includes to /usr/X11R6/include/GL !
seems not to be an exotic path to me and with three progs dmanding opengl it works quite well!??

Achim
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:43 pm

Ah yeah, there was a typo in configure.ac :heh: I've fixed it and committed it so hopefully that will fix your problems. If it doesn't, I'm running out of ideas.
hank2000

Could not find GL library

Postby hank2000 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:03 pm

gorzuate wrote:Ah yeah, there was a typo in configure.ac :heh: I've fixed it and committed it so hopefully that will fix your problems. If it doesn't, I'm running out of ideas.

nope, it didn t ! :cry:
but I keep trackin this problem and maybe I ll find a solution!
in the meantime I tried another game with opengl implementation and it works, so my gl configuration seems to work! (kamikaze, briquolo, supertux all work!)

but thanx a lot for Your hard work on it.

bye for now

Achim

Return to “Technical Issues”