Stuck at main menu. [ubuntu linux (kernel 2.6.18)]

For those having trouble installing/running the game or to report a bug

Moderator: Staff

hikaricore

Stuck at main menu. [ubuntu linux (kernel 2.6.18)]

Postby hikaricore » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:31 am

The game seems to start fine, but I'm stuck at the main menu. The sword cursor moves but I can't do anything but move it. Running the game from a terminal I see:

Code: Select all

[driAllocateTexture:636] unable to allocate texture

spammed every other second which causes a slight bit of lag on the menu.

It's not locking up or crashing, I can just sit at the main screen listening to the intro music and moving the cursor around lol, but I'm sure the actual game would be alot more interesting than that. :heh:

Anyways I'm going to try to remove the game and completely reinstall, incase there was any corruption in my download, failing at that I'll try building from the source (when I track it down).

Thanks in advance for any help, from what I've seen tho the game will be amazing. I havn't played any good SNESish rpgs since the Seiken Densetsu series and Star Ocean.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:05 am

Hmmm, I've never seen that happen before. I'm pretty sure that message is being printed from OpenGL, so you might want to check that your graphics drivers are setup correctly. The game works fine for me on my Ubuntu laptop last time I checked. :angel:
hikaricore

Postby hikaricore » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:32 am

compiled from source (after i installed libsdl-ttf and llua50)

same issue, so i'm going to guess you're right and it's a video hardware issue (odd as it seems) i have a nice desktop publishing system at work that i've installed ubuntu on, so tomorrow i'll try installing it there and see if that work ;) i love being productive.

thanks again for the help
MindFlayer
Developer

Postby MindFlayer » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:16 am

Did you try to press 'F'?
prophile

Postby prophile » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:36 pm

That needs to be made more clear. I think that aliasing the return key to F would be a good start...
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:28 pm

prophile wrote:That needs to be made more clear. I think that aliasing the return key to F would be a good start...

What we're going to do in the next release is show a mandatory menu after the logo animation starts up that displays the default key bindings. The user of course can disable this screen so that it doesn't appear again once they get the hang of things.

Or if people would RTFM, we wouldn't have this issue at all :angel:
hikaricore

Postby hikaricore » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:48 pm

MindFlayer wrote:Did you try to press 'F'?

Didn't try the F key, in my experience the enter key has been the common for starting games since back in the day when I was playing Zaxxon CGA on my tandy. :) Will try that when I get home.

Installed it here at work on a fresh copy of Ubunutu and after fullfilling all dependancies I get: ERROR: unable to initialize VideoManager

Oddly enough that's the same message I got at home after compiling it myself *sigh*

I'm not the best with luck. lol
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:10 pm

There's a problem with our video initialization code that is responsible for that. Its been fixed in SVN and the issue is discussed somewhere else on the forums. Basically, SDL_SetVideoMode() is using more bit-depth than is available on your system (IIRC).
hikaricore

Postby hikaricore » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:00 am

thanks for the tip, i noticed talk of that after I posted earlier >.<

i'll go grab the src and try recompiling.

oddly enough i didn't have this issue here at home until I compiled it myself. i must have had some remains of allacrost left when i reinstalled from the debian packages :?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:13 am

I'm not sure how our debian package is setup, so who knows. :shrug: The latest source from svn doesn't compile though: we've undergone a lot of changes since our release and have new library dependencies and some broken code in there right now. Grab the source tarball of the demo off of sourceforge and hopefully that should work for you. :angel: If you still have the initialization problem with the video engine, you'll have to modify src/engine/video/video.cpp yourself and add that little hack I'm afraid. :( Things should work better for the next release (if we find a video programmer that is! :axe: ).
hikaricore

Postby hikaricore » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:06 am

Tried the latest source with the modification to video.cpp and the game runs >.< Sorry I didn't look further into my issue earlier or I would have found the answers right here lol, it just kinda progressed into a new problem. :)

Thanks again, the demo looks great.
hank_at

Postby hank_at » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:08 pm

Roots wrote:
prophile wrote:That needs to be made more clear. I think that aliasing the return key to F would be a good start...

What we're going to do in the next release is show a mandatory menu after the logo animation starts up that displays the default key bindings. The user of course can disable this screen so that it doesn't appear again once they get the hang of things.

Or if people would RTFM, we wouldn't have this issue at all :angel:

yep, that s ONE point!! :D

another is, not trying the game with less graphics power and wondering then where s the coffee....
:heh:

---> (Matrox G400 16 MB) ---> or should this work, too???

another issue with "stuck on first screen":
when I first compiled the demo and changed these conf. on SDL_GL-Set_Attribute I once had the bootscreen in great red and after compiling from scratch again I get only the hurling sword on black background and the buttons - no background image!!
how comes that???

Achim
prophile

Postby prophile » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:44 pm

I've had the same. I have a feeling it relates to MTUs in some way.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:10 am

prophile wrote:I've had the same. I have a feeling it relates to MTUs in some way.

Say what? What's the problem?? :huh:
prophile

Postby prophile » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:23 pm

Maximum texture dimensions in this case, but it turns out it's not >.>
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:43 pm

I'm so confused :eyespin:
prophile

Postby prophile » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:50 am

Don't worry, gorzuate, the men in white coats will be here soon :approve:

Return to “Technical Issues”