Name changes to some things in the game

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Name changes to some things in the game

Postby Roots » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:44 am

Last night on IRC we were discussing some of the poor names that we have given to certain aspects in the game and came up with some ideas for better alternatives. Please share your thoughts on these proposed names, or suggest your own if you think of something better.

metaphysical => ethereal, or aethereal
Metaphysical was the name we gave to non-physical attacks. I didn't want to call it "magic", because it just seemed to cliche and I didn't want to restrict all types of non-physical attacks to "magical" ones. Ethereal does a good job of hitting this kind of general category. So instead of abbreviating weapon/armor ratings as "phys/meta", it could be "phys/eth". Aethereal is an alternative spelling for the word with the same meaning. I like ethereal better than aethereal, personally (and it's easier to remember how to pronounce).

slicing, piercing, smashing, mauling => slashing, piercing, crushing, mauling
These are the names of our four physical elemental types. Slight change here to make it easier to discern between the different types (slicing/slashing/smashing all sound pretty close). I like slashing better than slicing, as slicing reminds me more of something you do in a kitchen than on a battle. And crushing sounds better than smashing too IMO. We also discussed whether we can find a good alternative for mauling, but I think we're okay if we just leave it as mauling. After all, these elementals cover both characters and enemies, and it makes sense for a lot of enemies to have mauling-type attacks.

attack points => ???
I really think we need a new name for this (although I don't have any ideas yet). As a reminder, attack points are the specific "targets" that you can select on an enemy (ie, targeting their legs, or their wings). Attack points sounds too similar to hit points or skill points, and it's something completely different from those, so it's confusing to the player to describe it with that name. I really, really want a better name for these (and I want it before our next release). Any ideas?

If there's anything else that we should consider renaming, now is the best time to do it before we start having to support older releases.
Myckel

Re: Name changes to some things in the game

Postby Myckel » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:50 pm

attack points => attack focus or aim point ?
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:25 am

I agree on the first and second points, no opinion on the third.

Roots wrote:If there's anything else that we should consider renaming, now is the best time to do it before we start having to support older releases.

:shrug: I don't think that matters all that much. If we decide down the road to change something like this, it won't be all that painful to fix. It's not like we're changing the name of a character, town, or vitally important artifact.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:32 am

Myckel wrote:attack points => attack focus or aim point ?

Hmm, still doesn't feel like it fits. In the code we were to skills targeting various "target types", so I'm wondering about using the word target in this. Although at the same time, I'm concerned about teaching the player about target types, and listing one of the target types as a "target point" or something, and it might be confusing to use the word target twice like that.

For the record, there are eight different target types:

- Self [attack point]
- Self [actor]
- Ally [attack point]
- Ally [actor]
- Ally [party]
- Enemy [attack point]
- Enemy [actor]
- Enemy [party]

rujasu wrote:I don't think that matters all that much. If we decide down the road to change something like this, it won't be all that painful to fix. It's not like we're changing the name of a character, town, or vitally important artifact.

It will be painful if something is in the save game files and we change it. I would strongly prefer that both the game code and text refer to things by the same name. Having things referred to by multiple names reminds me too much of past jobs I've worked at, where the marketing department randomly pulls names out of a hat and changes the names of products every 18 months. :eyespin:
Myckel

Postby Myckel » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:20 am

Fallout 3 had also something like that, how did they call it?
prophile

Postby prophile » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:51 am

Roots wrote:metaphysical => ethereal, or aethereal
Metaphysical was the name we gave to non-physical attacks. I didn't want to call it "magic", because it just seemed to cliche and I didn't want to restrict all types of non-physical attacks to "magical" ones. Ethereal does a good job of hitting this kind of general category. So instead of abbreviating weapon/armor ratings as "phys/meta", it could be "phys/eth". Aethereal is an alternative spelling for the word with the same meaning. I like ethereal better than aethereal, personally (and it's easier to remember how to pronounce).

How about "non-physical" in the spirit of calling a spade a spade? :)

Roots wrote:slicing, piercing, smashing, mauling => slashing, piercing, crushing, mauling
These are the names of our four physical elemental types. Slight change here to make it easier to discern between the different types (slicing/slashing/smashing all sound pretty close). I like slashing better than slicing, as slicing reminds me more of something you do in a kitchen than on a battle. And crushing sounds better than smashing too IMO. We also discussed whether we can find a good alternative for mauling, but I think we're okay if we just leave it as mauling. After all, these elementals cover both characters and enemies, and it makes sense for a lot of enemies to have mauling-type attacks.

Looks good to me.

Roots wrote:attack points => ???
I really think we need a new name for this (although I don't have any ideas yet). As a reminder, attack points are the specific "targets" that you can select on an enemy (ie, targeting their legs, or their wings). Attack points sounds too similar to hit points or skill points, and it's something completely different from those, so it's confusing to the player to describe it with that name. I really, really want a better name for these (and I want it before our next release). Any ideas?

"Target point" seems like a good option.
Alastair Lynn / Resident Whinger / Allacrost
ManweSulimo2004

Postby ManweSulimo2004 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Why even call them "target points"? Shouldn't "target" be enough?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:21 am

ManweSulimo2004 wrote:Why even call them "target points"? Shouldn't "target" be enough?

Good point. I feel like that could also be confusing though, because you can select your attack to target an enemy party, an enemy, or an enemy's "target". Having a target as a type of target is just a little :uhoh:. There still hasn't been a name that I feel fits perfectly to represent what it is we are trying to describe that can't be confused with a name used to represent something else (like target).
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:43 am

I'm going to go ahead and replace "metaphysical" with "ethereal" throughout the code, and I'll update the name of the physical elemental types as well. I'm holding off on updating the name of "attack point" until we find a better name for it.

Return to “Design”