Minor design modifications and renamings for 1.0.0 release

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Minor design modifications and renamings for 1.0.0 release

Postby Roots » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:25 am

There are a number of different small changes I feel we should make before the next official release related. These are things that are easy to change now, but will be much more difficult to change in future releases. I'll add to this list as I think of or discover aspects that I think fit this list.

1) Remove evade stat and combine it with agility stat
Evade has always been a weird stat, because its the only one that is a floating point (percentage) and not an integer like the rest. It's just always been an oddball and no one has ever really liked having it. I think instead, we should look to the agility stat to also calculate evasion, since speed and evasion are related. I'm not sure exactly what formula to use there, but it's something we can think about.

2) Rename health points and skill points
HP/SP has been around since the beginning and has mostly been fine. But now we have HP fatigue and SP fatigue, which is kind of a mouthful. It also becomes confusing when you talk about attack points (areas on enemies you can target), because the "points" mean completely different things. So, I think we should change hit points to simply"health"/"health fatigue". For skill though, the naming is a bit harder. I'm thinking of calling that stat either stamina/stamina fatigue or ability/ability fatigue.

3) Battle stamina bar renamed to action bar
We've actually been referring to this as the action bar for a long time, even though technically its named the stamina bar. With the possible renaming of skill points as stamina, there's all the more reason to rename it. It won't be very much work to do it either.

4) Map stamina renamed to endurance
Map mode also uses the word stamina to describe the run bar. To avoid confusion of having multiple uses of this word throughout the game, I think endurance is a better alternative.

Return to “Design”