Pixel Doubling Bug Redux

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

AMDmi3
Contributor

Pixel Doubling Bug Redux

Postby AMDmi3 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:42 pm

Roots wrote:
AMDmi3 wrote:> Keep an eye out for visual glitches with images or text. A very large portion of our video engine was re-written for this release

There are :(
Seems like there is a great amount of off-by-one errors in texture coords of sprites.

See http://www.amdmi3.ru/allacrost/

- Font is blurred (everywhere on 1.png, differs from label to label on other scrots)
- Some letters are wrapped (most visible on letter 'i')
- Sprites are teared (look at letters O and C (herO allaCrost) on main menu logo, look at guys' cape and sword on the background, look at the healing potion on 2.png).

Text rendering still has a few issues that need to be worked out, but I think it would have been unwise to hold off the release for another 2-4 weeks just to get our text rendering to be pixel perfect.

Sure, it's not that critical. But note that there's not only fonts, but the same problem with _all_ sprites in the game (just noticed tears on terrain too). It's just that fonts are rendeder with LINEAR filter, while other sprites with NEAREST. But I guess I was wrong claiming that there's `great amount of errors' - more likely it's single bug in the sprite rendering engine.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:19 pm

AMDmi3 wrote:Sure, it's not that critical. But note that there's not only fonts, but the same problem with _all_ sprites in the game (just noticed tears on terrain too). It's just that fonts are rendeder with LINEAR filter, while other sprites with NEAREST. But I guess I was wrong claiming that there's `great amount of errors' - more likely it's single bug in the sprite rendering engine.

We're actually aware of this bug and are looking into it, but it may take a while. What's your setup btw (graphics card-wise)? We've only noticed the tears on terrain on OS X boxes so far...
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:17 am

gorzuate wrote:
AMDmi3 wrote:Sure, it's not that critical. But note that there's not only fonts, but the same problem with _all_ sprites in the game (just noticed tears on terrain too). It's just that fonts are rendeder with LINEAR filter, while other sprites with NEAREST. But I guess I was wrong claiming that there's `great amount of errors' - more likely it's single bug in the sprite rendering engine.

We're actually aware of this bug and are looking into it, but it may take a while. What's your setup btw (graphics card-wise)? We've only noticed the tears on terrain on OS X boxes so far...

Note quite - on "platforms other than OS X", all the tears are there except for the map-tile tears. That is; t
prophile

Postby prophile » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:35 am

I pointed out a bug in the video engine thread that might be partially responsible (the "extra pixel" bug).
Alastair Lynn / Resident Whinger / Allacrost
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:44 am

Unfinished sentence:
That is; the sprites, and all graphics except the tiles -do- have tears/seams on other systems.

I did some testing on various macs, and it seems to be pretty consistent across both processor platforms, and any kind of graphics cards. Part of it might just be the way we draw the tiles.

prophile wrote:I pointed out a bug in the video engine thread that might be partially responsible (the "extra pixel" bug).

Yeah, I did a big look-into that; turns out it's really weird. When I do what you suggested, it doesn't solve the problem, strangely, adding one to the coordinate system does seem to solve the problem. E.g. a coordinate system of 0 -> 1025, 0 -> 769

This smacks to me of a compound bug; a conflux of several other things. Possibly something set goofy early on in the video initialization.

On a side note, the program window coming up -is- 1024x768.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:57 am

Someone should file a bug report in the video engine if we believe this to be a consistent issue in multiple areas. The only bug we currently have filed related to this AFAIK is for map tiles: http://bugs.allacrost.org/view.php?id=51

And if we need to continue this discussion, lets do so in a more appropriate thread so that this thread can quietly die and fade into forum history. :)
AMDmi3
Contributor

Postby AMDmi3 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:52 am

My hardware is NVidia GeForce3, nvidia-driver-96.43.01. Btw, yes, this may be a projection problem as well. When I played with OpenGL, I remember using quad with texture of the screen size with 1 pixel color border to solve similar problems :)

Return to “Design”