Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

Colored Text Clues, do you like them?

Got a great idea for HoA or wish to discuss a current feature? Let us know about it!

Moderator: Staff

Do you want to see colored text clues in Allacrost?

Absolutely!
No votes
Maybe.
14%
Dunno.
7%
Not really.
36%
Definitely not.
43%

Total votes: 14
Roots
Dictator

Colored Text Clues, do you like them?

Post by Roots » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:41 pm

We were talking about text rendering implementations tonight and I'm curious what people think about colored text clues in RPG dialogue. For example:

"My name is Claudius and I hail from Harrvah kingdom. I have come in search of your sword of virginity."

(haha, virginity sword. Hahaha.)

Ehem. Anyway, what do you guys think about that? Vote in the poll! And post detailed comments if you're not lazy!

My view: I don't like it. I think that it's distracting and that it is too much "hand-holding" in directing the player's actions. The player should be able to read the text and figure it out for themselves. I like when a game makes me think, not when it does the thinking for me and I just sit there mashing buttons. :mad:
Sylon
Artist

Post by Sylon » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:48 pm

I like it because it's colorful!   :D   ~Teehee~  :angel:

Yeah, I don't really care.  Whatevar.
-[Sylon Shanings]-, A Servant of Allacrost.
I owe my allegiance to Roots and only Roots! Hail to the dictator!

"DAD GUMMIT I NEEDA GET MY TORUS DOWN." - Sylon's art jabber
roos
Developer

Post by roos » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:59 pm

I voted dunno because I don't like colors to be used for hints, but I don't mind if it's used to highlight some key word. For example, "You got excalibur". versus "You got excalibur"

But yea, I don't really care too much.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:34 pm

roos wrote:I voted dunno because I don't like colors to be used for hints, but I don't mind if it's used to highlight some key word. For example, "You got excalibur". versus "You got excalibur"

That I could live with. But I just hate having various colored text pop up when I'm talking to an NPC. If it's just a "you obtained"-type text message though, that I wouldn't mind.
roos
Developer

Post by roos » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:54 pm

Yea :shrug: Hmm, as far as coding I think maybe what I'll do is just build support for it and then if we want to use it, we can do either way... I can make it so it just lets you define certain "tags", so you could say:

You got [yellow]Excalibur[/yellow]!
or
You got [item]Excalibur[/item]!

and the code would be the same either way

OTOH if we're absolutely sure we don't want this kind of functionality then I won't design for it in the code at all :)

roos
Rain
Musician

Post by Rain » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:35 pm

I think its stupid.  Period.   I think it would actually be distracting for the player to see text that occurs in different colors.   The player may superimpose false interpretations of the colors and what they mean in relation to the story.  No, I believe that the text should be black and white, easy to interpret.  ;)
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

roos
Developer

Post by roos » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:06 pm

haha alright let's forget the idea then ;)
Loodwig
Musician

Post by Loodwig » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:59 pm

I am CLOUD a member of SOLDIER where we fight WEAPON and are afraid of the most powerful magic of all.... METEOR.  Maybe if we head to GOLDEN SAUCER we can find a clue there.  In case this game wasn't too easy, I mean we should go to GOLDEN SAUCER right now.  But we have to beware of the TURKS.

Please no.  Please very please no.
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
turin

Post by turin » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:24 pm

Nope, not a good idea... although bolding some words would be much more acceptable than coloring them. Multiple colors = bad!
I am Turin Turambar, Master of Doom, by Doom Mastered.
Also a general meddler at the Wesnoth forums.