Demo Story

Discuss the story of the game and share your thoughts here

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Re: Demo Story

Postby Roots » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:44 am

Yeah, it would be nice if we could get you a current build of the demo so you can see how things currently work for yourself. But I'm guessing you're on Windows and we currently have no one capable of building the game on Windows. For some reason its a major challenge to anyone who attempts it. :uhoh: But if you have Linux or OS X, we can get you a build quite easily.

Brian Aloisi wrote:5. Agreed. I'll change it. Along the same lines, I wasn't sure if the Captain, when he first scolds Claudius and Kyle for being late, if he should also say he will punish Claudius too. Regardless of if it's Kyle's fault or not, Claudius was also late. But then I thought, well, maybe Kyle is always getting in trouble, and since it's so rare with Claudius the Captain will overlook it. Does that come off as too soft or biased?

Yeah good point. It does seem kind of weird that the captain would completely overlook Claudius and not even mentioning that he is overlooking the offense. Maybe he should accept that it was Kyle's fault but still punish both of them equally. Perhaps he could also specify the punishment, such as saying that the two of them will have to mop the training hall floors that night? That might work, since it could essentially be the straw that broke the camel's back for Kyle and caused him to defect and run away.
Brian Aloisi
Writer

Postby Brian Aloisi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:16 am

Yeah, I'm on Windows. Damn. That would've been helpful. Oh well.

I'll update what I hope to be the final script and upload it later.

NPC dialogue is next.
A book must be an ice-axe to break the seas frozen inside our soul.
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:25 pm

Brian, I can cross-compile a Windows build from Linux using MinGW, package the whole thing up, and send it to you. No guarantees it will work on your system, but it "should" be fine. You won't have the editor available, but you won't need that anyway. I'll try to get that updated and ready for you tonight.

Currently, it has 90% of the dialogue from the older revision of the script, but the scenes are missing some detail, particularly the final battle. Actually I'm going to have to do some more work on the cave as a whole, but at least you can see the layout of it.
Brian Aloisi
Writer

Postby Brian Aloisi » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:50 am

Much obliged.

So I downloaded it. It works - kind of. It keeps crashing randomly, so I haven't been able to finish it yet, and since it won't let me save I keep having to start over :heh:

That said, thank you! It's such a help to be able to see it. Makes me want to get to work!

...Okay! I played all the way through. I think the main thing I need to do is tweak the opening scene between Claudius and Kyle a little bit - it feels like there's something missing. I think a decision needs to be made about how long the two have known each other.

The thing that really stands out to me right now is just how expansive the demo feels. The barracks and training hall are quite bit, as is the outside area. In order to make it feel full, we're going to need a good number of NPC's. About how many are we looking at?
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:46 am

Brian Aloisi wrote:Much obliged.

So I downloaded it. It works - kind of. It keeps crashing randomly, so I haven't been able to finish it yet, and since it won't let me save I keep having to start over :heh:

I hope to be able to fix that next weekend.

The thing that really stands out to me right now is just how expansive the demo feels. The barracks and training hall are quite bit, as is the outside area. In order to make it feel full, we're going to need a good number of NPC's. About how many are we looking at?

I don't know exactly, as many as you think we need. Keep in mind that there are civilians as well as soldiers.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:15 am

By the way, I mentioned the following idea to rujasu on IRC. We could have a concerned parent in the town that is looking for their child. This could be a mini side quest where Claudius has to venture out into the desert (or the cave?) to find the lost child and bring him home, and the parent gives Claudius a small reward to show his/her thanks.
Brian Aloisi
Writer

Postby Brian Aloisi » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:51 am

When you guys said we were cutting the town I assumed we were also cutting civilians. My understanding was that this is a military outpost populated exclusively with soldiers. So I guess a little clarification is in order. If there are civilians, will there also be houses or are they wandering around? This will be a lot more dialogue to write, but I'm up to the task.

As far as the scripted scenes go, like when Claudius is woken up because of the break in, is it going to play out like it is right now, or have we just not gotten that far yet?

Also, totally unrelated to NPC stuff, but are we going to keep the camera so close to the screen? In the last release the view is pulled way back so you can see a lot more of the area. It was a little jarring to play this one where it's so much closer. I'm fine with it, but it is a little frustrating having such a small radius of vision. Just my 2 cents.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:51 pm

As I've pointed out to others, even military bases have non-combat personnel for things like cooking and housekeeping. I think we should add one more living complex for such workers (a large apartment building of sorts). We might make it unable for the player to enter so we don't have to burden ourselves with more map/art work. So the base consists of mostly karlates (knights in training) but there are also a few civilian workers hanging around. For the most part, I see no major role for them to play in this demo.

rujasu updated the break in scene last night and its much much better now. Other scenes in the game will also be improved with time, but its a lot of work to do all this stuff right and rujasu's the only one working on the scripting.

Brian Aloisi wrote:Also, totally unrelated to NPC stuff, but are we going to keep the camera so close to the screen? In the last release the view is pulled way back so you can see a lot more of the area. It was a little jarring to play this one where it's so much closer. I'm fine with it, but it is a little frustrating having such a small radius of vision. Just my 2 cents.

For years people complained about just the opposite and wanted the screen to be closer. I'm kind of 50/50 about it. Each zoom has its own benefits and drawbacks. I think we're going to do this release at the current zoom level, measure the general response from players, and then we can decide which zoom to use for the future.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:38 pm

Brian Aloisi wrote:My understanding was that this is a military outpost populated exclusively with soldiers. So I guess a little clarification is in order. If there are civilians, will there also be houses or are they wandering around?

FYI, here's a list of all the sprites and animations for those sprites that we currently have. (Click on the revision number to view the sprite).

http://allacrost.svn.sourceforge.net/vi ... rites/map/

You should assume that we will not have any more sprites than this to use for this release.
Brian Aloisi
Writer

Postby Brian Aloisi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:02 pm

Here is the latest draft. I addressed all the issues we discussed (after a second reading I decided the opening scene is fine). I think it's pretty close to being done, but everyone should read it first. As I said, I'll be in the Philippines, but I'll have my computer and internet access, so if any changes need to be made I can do it, no problem. Enjoy.

Allacrost Demo
FADE IN:
EXT. DESERT – DAY

Claudius and Kyle are in the desert overlooking the terrain.

KYLE
You know the only reason I’m doing this is because of my family. There was never any discussion. If it was my choice I’d be far away from here.
CLAUDIUS
And go where? You should be happy. It’s an honor to serve your country.
KYLE
I can do that on my own.
CLAUDIUS
It’s more effective to work together. Besides, the captain has our best interest at heart.
KYLE
That’s where you’re wrong, Claudius. As far he’s concerned we’re expendable.
CLAUDIUS
You’re crazy.
KYLE
You’ve never thought about leaving the knighthood?
CLAUDIUS
Of course not.
KYLE
I didn’t think so.
CLAUDIUS
You’ll be all right.
KYLE
I just don’t understand you sometimes.
CLAUDIUS
Hey, what time is it?
KYLE
I don’t know.
CLAUDIUS
Aren’t we supposed to be in practical training class right now?
KYLE
Oh yeah, I guess we are.
CLAUDIUS
Come on, we better hurry back.

Claudius and Kyle fight their way through the desert, back to the outpost. They enter the Harrvahan knights training hall. All the aspiring knights are training with their partners.

INT. TRAINING ROOM – DAY

CAPTAIN
You’re late.
CLAUDIUS
Sorry, sir, I –
KYLE
It’s my fault, sir. I dragged Claudius off this morning.
CAPTAIN
Very well. You’ll both mop the training hall floor this evening. In addition, Kyle, you will help serve dinner tonight. Is that clear?
CLAUDIUS/KYLE
Yes sir!
CAPTAIN
Good. Now find a partner to train with.

Kyle motions for Claudius to follow.

CAPTAIN
Not him. Claudius trains with me today.

KYLE
Yes sir.

Kyle nods and walks away.

CAPTAIN
Claudius, show me your forward thrust technique.

Claudius executes a forward thrust.

CAPTAIN
Good. Remember, never take your eye off your target. Now show me the proper form for a parry.

Claudius executes a parry.

CAPTAIN
Nicely done.
CLAUDIUS
Thank you, sir.
CAPTAIN
Let’s see how you fare when the opponent strikes back. Kyle!

They both look around but don’t see Kyle anywhere.

CAPTAIN
Where’s that friend of yours run off to this time?
CLAUDIUS
I don’t know, sir.
CAPTAIN
You’ll face me then.
CLAUDIUS
Sir?

The captain walks to a weapon rack and pulls out a wooden sword.

CAPTAIN
Draw your weapon.

Claudius draws his sword and approaches.

CAPTAIN
Remember what you’ve learned.

The two battle, the captain going easy on him. It ends with the captain knocking Claudius’s sword away and pressing the tip of his blade to Claudius’s throat.

CAPTAIN
Well done, Claudius.

He removes the sword and sets it aside.

CAPTAIN
That’s all for today.
CLAUDIUS
Yes, sir.

As Claudius prepares to leave the captain stops him.

CAPTAIN
Come with me, Claudius, we need to talk.

They walk to the corner of the hall.

CAPTAIN
You and Kyle are close.
CLAUDIUS
We are, sir.
CAPTAIN
You have a lot of potential, Claudius. I know Kyle is your friend, but I fear he’s becoming an impediment to your quest for knighthood.
CLAUDIUS
Kyle is a good man, sir.
CAPTAIN
Regardless, I want you to consider your priorities. Becoming a knight takes sacrifice. Sometimes that sacrifice means spending less time with the people we care about.
CLAUDIUS
I understand, sir.
CAPTAIN
Just think about it. Now, do me a favor and find Kyle. I need to speak with him as well.

Claudius nods and heads off in search of Kyle. He approaches some of his fellow knights in training.

CLAUDIUS
Have any of you seen Kyle?
PHILLIP
No, sorry Claudius.

Claudius searches for Kyle. Eventually he finds him in the desert.

EXT. DESERT – DAY

CLAUDIUS
There you are.
KYLE
Hey.
CLAUDIUS
What are you doing? The captain wants to speak with you.
KYLE
He can wait.

Kyle hands Claudius a piece of cloth. Inside is a slice of cake.

KYLE
I managed to swipe some goodies from the kitchen quarters. I saved you some.
CLAUDIUS
You shouldn’t –
KYLE
It’s just a piece of cake. It’s not going to hurt anyone.
CLAUDIUS
I guess you’re right. And hey, thanks for covering for me back there. I appreciate it.
KYLE
Don’t mention it. I’m already on bad terms with the captain anyway.

Claudius smiles and nods. It’s dusk. Suddenly and out of nowhere a beast attacks to the two men. They fight side by side and manage to defeat it.
CLAUDIUS
Good job.
KYLE
You too. We should head back.
CLAUDIUS
All right.
KYLE
Claudius?
CLAUDIUS
Yes?
KYLE
…Let’s go.

FADE OUT.
FADE IN:
INT. BARRACKS – NIGHT

HECTOR
Claudius? Claudius! Wake up!

Claudius wakes up. Several knights are standing over him.

HECTOR
Get your gear and let’s go!
CLAUDIUS
What’s going on?
ALEX
A thief has broken into the armory. The captain has called a man hunt. Equip yourself and meet out front.

Claudius gets out of bed and dresses.

CLAUDIUS
Come on, Kyle, let’s go! Kyle?

Kyle is nowhere to be found.

CLAUDIUS
Oh no.

Claudius runs out and assembles with everyone else.

EXT. OUTPOST – NIGHT

CAPTAIN
For those of you who don’t know, a thief has broken into the armory. It is up to us to capture him. Split up and comb the area.
CLAUDIUS
Sir?
CAPTAIN
Yes, Claudius?
CLAUDIUS
…Nothing.
CAPTAIN
You have your orders. Now go.

Everyone disperses in pursuit of the thief. The manhunt continues with no results until Claudius decides to check the cave. He catches a glimpse of Kyle running out ahead of him.

INT. CAVE – NIGHT

CLAUDIUS
Kyle!

Claudius is unable to give chase due to monsters inside the cave blocking his path. He must battle his way through the cave, right on Kyle’s heels. Eventually he falls behind though, and it is only by the sound of combat that he is able to track Kyle.

CAPTAIN
Stop this, Kyle. You can’t escape. Lower your weapon and come peacefully. Don’t make a bad situation worse.
KYLE
No. I’m doing this for me. I don’t expect you to understand.
CAPTAIN
Then you leave me no choice.

They both draw their swords, and Kyle does his best to parry. The captain makes quick work of Kyle, knocking his sword away and pushing him to the ground. His blade is aimed at Kyle’s throat, but he slowly pulls it away.

CAPTAIN
I’m disappointed in you, Kyle.

The sound of running is heard. Claudius appears in the distance and heads for them.

CAPTAIN
Over here, Claudius!

As the captain turns back towards Kyle, Kyle throws a handful of dirt into the captain’s eyes, blinding him. He reaches up with a hand to protect his face and try to regain his sight. As he does Kyle stands up and knocks the captain over the nearby cliff edge.

CLAUDIUS
No!

Claudius runs to the ledge and looks over.

CLAUDIUS
What have you done…
KYLE
I’m sorry. I didn’t want to have to do that.

Claudius stands runs to the exit, blocking Kyle’s path. He draws his sword.

KYLE
What are you doing?
CLAUDIUS
I can’t let you get away.
KYLE
I’m your friend!
CLAUDIUS
It’s my duty!
KYLE
Don’t do this.
CLAUDIUS
You’ve already done it.
KYLE
I don’t want to fight you.
CLAUDIUS
Then lower your weapon and turn yourself in.
KYLE
You know I can’t.
CLAUDIUS
And you know I can’t let you go.
KYLE
Isn’t our friendship more important than your duty?
CLAUDIUS
You killed the captain!

The two friends do battle. They’re both of equal skill and neither can gain an advantage. As they fight the sound of knights running through the cave can be heard. They continue their dialogue while fighting

KYLE
I just took some supplies, just enough to start a new life, away from this servitude. Can’t you understand?
CLAUDIUS
You’ve tarnished your honor and disgraced the Harrvahan knighthood!
KYLE
To hell with the knighthood!

As the knights emerge around the corner one fires an arrow at Kyle. It misses and embeds into the wall behind him. A low rumbling begins, and the ceiling begins to cave in. The rocks drop between Claudius and Kyle, separating them and blocking the exit. Kyle has gotten away. Claudius collapses to a knee, exhausted from the chase and battle.

CHARLES
Claudius! Are you all right?
CLAUDIUS
I’m fine…But the captain…He fell…

Claudius motions to the ledge. The knights look over the edge.

HECTOR
Everyone down to the cave floor! He might still be alive!

The knights run off, leaving Claudius there, staring at the rock pile.

CLAUDIUS
Damn you, Kyle.

END
Brian Aloisi
Writer

Postby Brian Aloisi » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:17 am

I'm going to be giving the demo script a makeover in the coming days.
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:51 am

Actually, Brian, we've kind of moved on from the demo at this point. Would you be interested in doing some editing work on the prologue script perhaps?

One issue we have right now is that the current edition of the prologue script includes a member of the Muabi tribe overlooking the scene and narrating a bit -- something we've decided isn't going to work in the game. So perhaps you could work on a way to re-write that without the Muabi introduction? Let me know if you'd like to work on that.

Roots hasn't been around for the past couple of weeks (I haven't really either, number of things going on lately including the ZOMG HURRICANE) so for now just assume you can take liberties with the script as needed.
Brian Aloisi
Writer

Postby Brian Aloisi » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:31 pm

Oh okay, cool. Thanks for the update.

Return to “Story”