To the graphic's Artist!

Let our staff know what you think about the game and suggest improvements

Moderator: Staff

Azkanan

To the graphic's Artist!

Postby Azkanan » Tue May 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Hello! I haven't a slightest clue who to contact, so I'll be putting this on the User Feedback and via message to Roots.

The graphics in this game are downright beautiful, and very in touch with my 90s sensibilities. I am designing and programming a game myself and am having repeated troubles with sprites - they're my greater weakness. As a result, I would be interested in hiring your graphics artist temporarily, paid (as far as that goes for my dusty pockets), for base male & female sprites of similar design to that of which has been represented in this game.

I'd like to discuss this further and as soon as possible. Please contact me via details sent to Roots.
Roots
Dictator

Re: To the graphic's Artist!

Postby Roots » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:46 pm

Hi, sorry your post went unapproved for so long. Everyone took an extended break from this project and the forums somehow broke in that period, preventing us from approving posts. I fixed that issue yesterday.

Thanks for the feedback and the offer! I don't know if you are still in need of our artists-for-hire, but if you are I will be happy to get you in touch with them. Let me know, and feel free to post a link to your game here as well so we can check it out.
Silith

Postby Silith » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:19 pm

Hi,

is it possible to use the Sprites of Claudius and co for an other Project of RPG, which could be commercial, with ads, but free to download and play?

PS: Love the graphical work of Claudius and the other sprites, they are perfect!

Greets
Silith
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:57 pm

Our artwork is currently licensed under the GPLv2, but we've been discussing moving it to a CC license because GPL is kind of difficult to apply to non-code. Of the licenses, we agreed that we'd likely use CC BY-SA-NC, which means it can't be used in commercial products. More information about the licenses here:

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/

We allow our artists full control over how they use their creations though, so if you contact them directly and they give you permission to use them in a commercial work, you'll have no complaints from us. However, it's difficult to figure out who did what at this point and most of these artists haven't been around in years, so tracking them down would be hard.

I don't mind if you use Allacrost sprites as placeholders in your project, so long as they aren't present in a release. What I recommend you do is to download this work, which -can- be used in a commercial product (as noted by the license).

http://opengameart.org/content/2d-sprit ... -animation

These are the base skins for all sprites, so all you have to do is have an artist draw clothing/whatever on top of them and shade appropriately.
Silith

Postby Silith » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:30 pm

Thank you very much for your fast answer.

Is it possible that you link the artist/creator of the sprites in this post or maybe contact them, cause i think it would be impossible for me to get some information.

Is there a advanced skin template for diagonal movement like this http://opengameart.org/content/2d-sprite-skins-walking-animation ?

And if i use this template and create my own characters, there will be no licensing or copyright problems?

The Allacrost sprites are working perfectly as placeholders in my project for testing and creating, so I´m in love with them from the first moment.

What tileset is used in the first desertarea for houses and co. here http://www.allacrost.org/multimedia/screenshots and are they free to use also for commercial use?

I would also like to show you some progress of the design from the game and the startingmaparea.

Greetings and many thanks
Silith
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:37 am

I'm not certain, but I think Safir-Kreuz created most of the map sprites. He has a deviant art page that you can try contacting him at here.

We never created animations for diagonal movement. It was far too costly for us and really isn't worth the effort IMO, since using the orthogonal movement animations for diagonal movement looks fine.

I just spoke with the artist who did all of the desert tilesets (Jetrel) that you're interested in and he agreed that you may use them under a CC0 license. You can find them here: https://bitbucket.org/allacrost/allacro ... at=default

Look at the following images:
- desert_ground.png
- desert_house_exterior.png
- desert_house_interior.png

In the exterior one, only the house and ground tiles may be used. The walls, windows, fences, and signs were either created by different artists or used from different sources. Read the LICENSES file in the game/ directory to figure out what license those pieces may be available under (if they were from a third-party source).
Silith

Postby Silith » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:51 pm

Hi, I just want to show you some progress of designing a Barbariansprite, I would be proud if it´s good enough to implement in Hero of Allacrost and my Game, when it´s finished. :hack:

I know, the trousers look bad, but they should be more like a celtic skirt when it´s finished and shoulders look like super sayajin. :bash:

Greetings
Silith
Attachments
Barbar.png
Barbar.png (4.92 KiB) Viewed 5469 times
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:03 am

Looks great so far :approve:
Silith

Postby Silith » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:31 pm

Hi,

short Update of the Sprites.

I know the dwarf looks bad so far :axe:

Thx
Silith
Attachments
Mage.png
Mage.png (4.92 KiB) Viewed 5392 times
Dwarf.png
Dwarf.png (3.84 KiB) Viewed 5392 times
Barbar.png
Barbar.png (5.32 KiB) Viewed 5392 times
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:45 pm

For the dwarf, I suggest making him stocky/wider. Dwarf's aren't thin like children are. I think that will go a long way to making him look better. :approve:

Also just as a note, for the side frames we actually don't use every frame you see in the models. We use the same number of movement frames that we do for north/south movement, both for easing the burden on the artists and to make the code a little less complex.
Silith

Postby Silith » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:56 pm

So he just lifts his left or right foot ?

Pic 1 to 4 and restart?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:06 pm

I forget which of the exact frames we use, so just take a look at our sprite sheets and match the side frames up with the side frames of the model image. Look at any "*_walk.png" file in this directory.

https://bitbucket.org/allacrost/allacro ... at=default

Of course if you want to use the whole frame set by all means go for it. The motion will probably look smoother/better with the additional frames.

Return to “User Feedback”