levelling up and killing up monsters

Let our staff know what you think about the game and suggest improvements

Moderator: Staff

shirish

levelling up and killing up monsters

Post by shirish » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi all,
In many of the RPG games I have played so far, this is the way I have seen it happen in most of the games :-

a. The first few times, the guy/s is/are are the poorest/raggedy heroes.

b. As they get levelled up, even if they do not get new clothes (as after killing monster/bad guys etc. they do get droppings) slowly they become healthy as their stats rise.

c. Now as stats rise, it is so much easier to kill the monsters as well which means the XP got from killing is not as much as before but then at the same time it is an easy kill, the droppings are not so great as well.

Neither of the three things seem to be the case with HoA atm. The heroes seem quite well-dressed for the occasion.

Looking forward to comments as to what you guys think about it.

Just my 2 paise.
Intel i5-7400, Asus Z270-P, 8 GB DDR4 2400 RAM, D-Link 502-T router, 64-bit Debian Buster, MATE 1.18 ,
Roots
Dictator

Re: levelling up and killing up monsters

Post by Roots » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:45 pm

The game is not balanced right now. I thought I made this clear in one of your earlier posts. Please do not expect the game to play like it should be balanced when we're still in the middle of development for this chapter.

And we're not going to increase our artwork requirements to make "raggedy" versions of their sprites or any other versions for that matter where they are wearing different clothing or armor. Maybe if we had 20 full time artists who didn't have enough to do we could consider that.
shirish

Post by shirish » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:20 pm

Roots wrote:The game is not balanced right now. I thought I made this clear in one of your earlier posts. Please do not expect the game to play like it should be balanced when we're still in the middle of development for this chapter.
Hi Roots,

Thank you for prompt reply. Well, you are correct you did make reference to balancing in one of your earlier posts. The term 'balancing' I thought meant having the enemies more AI, more HP and also losing the HP (and SP) as is it is now (and will be in future). That I thought was 'balancing' . If my above points also come into 'balancing' its going to take some doing, no rush.
Roots wrote: And we're not going to increase our artwork requirements to make "raggedy" versions of their sprites or any other versions for that matter where they are wearing different clothing or armor. Maybe if we had 20 full time artists who didn't have enough to do we could consider that.
Oh, agreed. maybe something to wishlist somewhere down the road, who knows :P
Intel i5-7400, Asus Z270-P, 8 GB DDR4 2400 RAM, D-Link 502-T router, 64-bit Debian Buster, MATE 1.18 ,
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:34 pm

When I say balancing, I generally mean that to include all of the numeric data of the game content, among a few other things. Specifically:

Character stats
Enemy stats
Equipment ratings
Item definitions (what does each item do)
Item availability
Skill definitions (what does each skill do)
Available skills on both characters and enemies
Rate of experience growth
Rate of monetary gain (drunes)
Difficulty of enemy parties
Number and composition of enemy sprites roaming on map
Available wares in shops and their prices

Most of those things are adjusted by simply tweaking a few numbers in a Lua (text) file. Everything in the game right now is pretty much just a "rough estimate" of where the balanced value would be. True balancing work won't come until later, as we typically save it for the later stages of the development process. Although I've been thinking about going over to a RPGMaker community and seeing if I can't recruit someone to work on our balancing now and have that be their primary function, as balancing does take a lot of time to do well. But I think it would be a bad idea for anyone on our current team to work on balancing, because they are more needed with what they are already doing.
shirish

Post by shirish » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanx for clarifying. Wish there was a way that I could make it sticky /imporatant for myself. Anyways, good enough to know.