Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

queries part 2 - map and right-bottom-bar

Let our staff know what you think about the game and suggest improvements

Moderator: Staff

shirish

queries part 2 - map and right-bottom-bar

Post by shirish » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:43 am

Hi all,
Can somebody tell/share what the right-bottom bar is for ?

The one on the right-hand-side on the bottom, is that some sort of scale of the room/map or what? If not, a map seems to be missing.
Intel i5-7400, Asus Z270-P, 8 GB DDR4 2400 RAM, D-Link 502-T router, 64-bit Debian Buster, MATE 1.18 ,
nemesis

Re: queries part 2 - map and right-bottom-bar

Post by nemesis » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:49 am

This is the stamina bar. Basically, when you run you should lose stamina. This regenerates when you are not running. (like in Diablo 2 ;) ).

You can see this effect by changing

Code: Select all

Map.unlimited_stamina = true; -- TEMP: enabled for development. Change this to false prior to release
to

Code: Select all

Map.unlimited_stamina = false;
in line 474 in river_access_cave.lua.
shirish

Post by shirish » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:53 am

how does one run ?
Intel i5-7400, Asus Z270-P, 8 GB DDR4 2400 RAM, D-Link 502-T router, 64-bit Debian Buster, MATE 1.18 ,
nemesis

Post by nemesis » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:55 am

Press 'D' while moving. It's a nice option and saves much time. :)
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:32 pm

Yeah eventually the cave map will not have unlimited stamina like it does now. The reason it does now is that it makes it easier to debug, since you can run around forever. Typically, towns and other "safe" places will have unlimited stamina while dungeons and places where enemies are encountered will not.

On a couple of related notes, I had proposed the idea of (1): hiding the stamina bar completely if we're in an infinite-stamina map, since having the bar there does not provide any new information and is only an eyesore IMO. I had also proposed that (2): when we're in an infinite stamina map, the running state is flipped. That is, you automatically run if you're not holding D, and if you do hold D then you walk instead. That way, the player doesn't have to hold down "D" all the time while in town, which they probably would. (Chrono Trigger required you to hold down the run button in town all the time though). Any opinions on these two proposals? I think rujasu did not like the first one but I haven't heard any complaints about the second.
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:55 pm

I don't really care for either proposal regarding the stamina bar at the moment :| but maybe it would just require getting used to it...
shirish

Post by shirish » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:18 pm

hmmm..... maybe it could be in the settings.lua somewhere.

For instance in the present scenario I would have liked to be able to run without having to press 'D'.

Also even in the case of a penalty in health or whatever some people may prefer to run while others never run. I played a non-free game at a friend's place called 'Last castaway' which is about a guy who winds up at some beach and starts finding his crew-mates and goes on missions . In the game he had to constantly feed himself, first with fruits and then with recipes as he learns new ones when he completes some mission. If he ran, he would feel hungry more often, after he had finished few missions, it was easy to run and still get have food to replenish him.

I'm sure there would be lot of thought put into it, but it would be nice where I could click on some option and have him running or walking with the option of 'D' as well.

Just my 2 paise.