Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

Custom Resolutions?

Let our staff know what you think about the game and suggest improvements

Moderator: Staff

mots

Custom Resolutions?

Post by mots » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:14 am

Hi, i just tried the techdemo, it looks really great! But I missed one feature: the support for custom resolutions. As I have a not-that-widespread resolution on my laptop (1440*900) and everything else looks really sucky on it, I'd be very happy if you gave us some possibility to change the resolution to _any_ value.
Maybe you could even do it the same way the wesnoth team did it (It "magically" offers your default X11/Windows/OS X resolution in the resolution list). Dunno how they made that, though, as I'm not that much of a coder.
Loodwig
Musician

Post by Loodwig » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:32 pm

1440x900, although uncommon... is not that uncommon. I can say from web development experience that I've met many a web user that uses that resolution, and finds many websites designed to work well in 800x600 are very narrow. It's not your typical aspect ratio, which may require some reconsiderations in gameplay features (e.g. margins). One advantage Wesnoth has is that it can just expand the size of the viewable world to compensate, whereas a combat screen cannot as easily be resized without difficult. I'd be eager to see what one of the devs would say though.
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:52 pm

I have 1440x900 on my laptop, but I don't think that supporting mutliple resolutions in the manner which you are describing would be a good idea. The reason is we design the game assuming a constant screen size (1024x768) which is automatically scaled to similar aspect rations (800x600, etc). Doing it in 1440x900 would make everything appear stretched and ugly. If we allowed a wider or narrower view area for certain resolutions, it would make the design of the game more difficult than it needs to be, as we would have to accomidate more screen sizes in both some of our artwork as well as scripting events in maps, etc. So I'm sorry to say that I don't think we're going to look into that kind of support any time soon.
prophile

Post by prophile » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:25 pm

Perhaps have some kind of "black-bar" support where only the centre area of the screen is shown?
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:37 pm

When running in full screen mode on my laptop, the black-bars are there automatically. :)
Loodwig
Musician

Post by Loodwig » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:57 pm

sounds good to me. Good ol 4:3 aspect :)

Anyway we can get it to default to a lower resolution or "not windowed"? In windows, it's always to find the navigation at the bottom when the screen is the same size (or really, slightly larger) than my desktop :)
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:17 pm

Loodwig wrote:sounds good to me. Good ol 4:3 aspect :)

Anyway we can get it to default to a lower resolution or "not windowed"? In windows, it's always to find the navigation at the bottom when the screen is the same size (or really, slightly larger) than my desktop :)
bugs.allacrost.org
Enter it as a feature request for the video engine code. I think it sounds like a good idea. :approve: